While deciding on your New Year’s resolution for the upcoming year, choose a gemstone to get you off with a tangible start. A stone that you can wear, touch or see every day will offer a physical reminder and provide energy to help you attain your goals and accomplish any life-changing behaviors you hope for in the future. Crystals and gemstones have been used for thousands of years for their healing and energy. In learning about the various gemstones, I have discovered that each is unique in owning its energies, mystical powers and healing properties which are referenced in many ancient and modern sources. Each gemstone/crystal has different energies and affects each of us differently. In finding the perfect stone, you try to find one that connects with the energies of your body. You do not choose your crystal, but your stone chooses you so start by picking up various crystals/stones. You may feel a particular appeal to a certain stone, maybe the color or texture. Hold it in your hands. You may begin to feel the temperature of the stone change, as well as, feel a strange sensation yourself. “Trust your instincts” – close your eyes and take a deep slow breathe. Feel the stone, feel its texture, shape, and temperature. Does it speak to you? Whenever possible, try to get natural or rough cut stones and always, avoid fake or dyed stones.
But what about those New Year’s Resolutions? Listed below are ten popular resolutions along with suggested gemstones that can help you achieve your goals for 2011.
1. Plan to do more traveling? Choose from an amethyst, aquamarine, chalcedony, garnet, herkimer diamond, jet, malachite, tigers eye.
2. More exercise in 2011? These stones provide energy and stamina: calcite, carnelian, herkimer diamond, garnet, quartz, spinel, tigers eye
3. Loose weight, don’t we all choose this one? Good choices for this resolution are Blue Peruvian opal, green tourmaline, moonstone, picasso marble, rose quartz, spinel (healthy weight), sulphur, unakite (ideal weight)
4. Quit Smoking? Blue Topaz supports the process of overcoming an undesirable habit or addiction. The body often rejects the effort to change a habit, but the energy from Blue Topaz helps the body aligns itself with the new health plan and accept the need to get rid of self-destructive habits, including smoking, drugs, and alcohol. Others to consider: Black onyx, amethyst (esp reduces withdrawal symptoms), ametrine, obsidian, peridot, petrified wood, rutilated quartz, sugilite (esp immune system problems from substance abuse)
5. Enjoy Life More. Poppy Jasper helps you gain a positive outlook. It makes you feel happy when you wear this stone. Or maybe one of these: amethyst, amazonite, aventurine, blue lace agate, blue quartz, carnelian, chrysoprase, moonstone, pyrite, rainbow crystals, rose quartz, smokey quartz
6. Quit Drinking Amethyst, Black Onyx and Tiger Eye. Others to consider: Black onyx, amethyst (esp reduces withdrawal symptoms), ametrine, obsidian, peridot, petrified wood, rutilated quartz, sugilite (esp immune system problems from substance abuse)
7. Get Out of Debt. Iolite helps with money problems – whether it be managing money, getting out of debt, re-aligning finances and helping you to gain financial independence. Others gemstones known to promote luck and fortune are Tiger’s Eye, Bloodstone, Cinnabar, Emerald
8. Learn Something New. Depending on where you are in life: For Memory consider using alternative healing and using gemstones like Amazonite, Citrine, Emerald, Hematite, Pyrite, Rhodonite and Unakite. For Mental Clarity use gemstones like: Amber, Emerald, Labradorite, Lapis Lazuli, Pyrite, Rainbow Fluorite, and Spectrolite. For Concentration use: Carnelian, Hematite, Petrified Wood, Rainbow Fluorite, and Red Jasper.
9. Help Others. Botswana Agate instills a greater feeling of optimism and hope and increase your awareness of how to help other people with their needs. Charoite – Can help you overcome negative emotions and develop clairvoyance for helping others. Other stones to consider: Tanzanite, Tree Agate
10. Get Organized. Dumortierite – Can help you to be more organized, self-disciplined, and realistic. Others to consider: ammonite, mother of pearl, flourite
This New Year’s Eve, try something a little different to jumpstart your new year’s resolution, try adding a gemstone to bring you extra luck, energy and beauty! Happy New Year!